Sunday, February 28, 2010

Word in Your Hand

166 @ 7:19am. scarfed a banana (no insulin coverage) and left for a morning run (plus, a measly weight training session). 1.75 hours later. Blood glucose (BG) @ 132. that's what I call perfection.
and if i were to pinpoint a word for the LOAD (Life of a Diabetic) at this very moment, I'd say: accomplished.

generally, I'd give the stamp of: challenging.

----

I came across the Word in Your Hand project today - because although World Diabetes Day isn't today (it's actually November 14th), it is certainly something that I think about at least once a day. (LOAD Fact: I often forget that I'm diabetic). They put together a video of words that PWD (people with diabetes) used to describe diabetes. I was touched (and simultaneously, saddened). It's a pluralized version of LOAD, expressed through one word written on each individual's hand. Together, the single words used to describe such a [insert your own adjective] disease powerfully articulated feelings that resonate with me daily, depending on the time of the day, the foods that I eat, etc.

To be honest, I'm not sure that this video was composed in the most socio-culturally competent manner. It displayed a widespread representation of generations, but failed to provide a range of economic statuses and racial/ethnic backgrounds. How can I tell? Well, I figure there would be more words like: disproportionate. struggle. insurance. family history. numb. be strong. access. healthy foods?. God. etc. And I figure there would be more hands of color. (i think i spotted a Latina). Besides that, I did like the hands with wedding bands - in my opinion, it demonstrated support and love. And I absolutely love the minds of children! Some of the kids in the video placed dots on the tips of their fingers to account for all the "finger sticking".

Check out the Word in Your Hand video!
For your viewing pleasure, here's a second version made two years later.

It leaves me wondering...
(1) If more hands were to be included in the video, what do you think they'd say?
(2) What one word would people without diabetes use to describe the disease?


No comments:

Post a Comment